打开APP
userphoto
未登录

开通VIP,畅享免费电子书等14项超值服

开通VIP
TED演讲 | 勇敢点,直面内心恐惧吧!

演说者:Michelle Poler

演说题目:勇敢点,直面内心恐惧吧!

面对恐惧,我们应该摆平心态,明白恐惧时生活中不可少、正常存在的部分,然后去直面它,挑战它,而不是选择逃避,只有这样,直面恐惧,逃离舒适圈,才能活出自己。

Remark:TED音频下载,网易云音乐搜索主播电台:TED英语演说

勇敢点,直面内心恐惧吧! 来自TED英语演说 00:00 14:59

中英对照演讲稿

Today, right here, right now,
今时今日,此时此刻,

I'm facing my 100th fear.
我正面对着自己的第100个恐惧。

(Applause)
(掌声)

It all started when I was doing  my master's degree in Branding
这一切都是我在 纽约市视觉艺术学院

at the School of Visual Arts  in New York City.
就读品牌硕士专业时开始的。

And Debbie Millman, the director  and founder of the program
这一项目的导演 兼创始人黛比 · 米尔曼

asked the class to look  deep into our souls
要求课堂上的同学探究自己的内心,

and write an essay  about our best possible lives ten years from now.
并围绕十年后我们 最有可能过上的生活写一篇文章。

This exercise was both terrifying and liberating.
这个练习既令人心生畏惧, 又让人得到了释放。

We had a free path to dream big.
我们有一条通往 远大梦想的自由之路。

As soon as we were all ready  to go after our biggest dreams,
当我们都准备好 去追逐远大的梦想时,

we were asked to think  of all those possible things
也被要求开始思考这一过程中

that could get in the way  of our best possible future.
可能出现的所有障碍。

But then we were asked  to identify one crucial obstacle.
然后找出其中一个关键的障碍。

When I learned and I realized
当我了解并意识到

that my whole life was crippled by fear
我的一生都在被恐惧所困扰,

and I was missing on every  new experience because of it
因为恐惧,我失去了每一个新的体验,

I was paralyzed.
我感到了绝望。

That's when the third part  of this assignment was unveiled.
尤其是这项任务的第三部分揭晓的时候。

We were all commissioned to start  a 100-day project of our choice.
我们全部被要求开始对 所选主题展开为期100天的项目。

For me, the answer was  way too obvious to ignore.
对我来说答案太过明显, 完全难以忽视。

I knew that I had to start facing  all of my fears one by one.
我明白,我必须开始逐一 直面我所有的恐惧。

Since I was a little girl,
从童年时期开始,

my life had always been crippled by fear.
我的生活就一直被恐惧围绕。

I remember when I was little,  my uncle bought a huge dog for his house
记得在我小时候, 叔叔家里买了一条大狗,

and my family dinners went from being  happy memories to terrifying nightmares.
从那以后,我的家庭晚餐 从幸福的回忆变成了可怕的梦魇。

Or when I passed on a backpacking trip  to Europe with my friends
亦或是,当我和朋友一起去 欧洲背包旅行,

just because the thought  of having to sleep at a hostel
只是因为想到必须在青年旅社过夜,

or in a train station  would make me tremble.
或者在火车站里睡觉, 我便会感到焦虑不安。

And like that I never tried any substance  that could mess up with my system.
就这样,我从未尝试过任何 可能打乱我生活的事物。

I was comfortable that way,
这样使我感到很舒服,

and the easy answer to all these things  was always 'No, thanks!'
并且应对这些事物的 简单答案总是“不,谢谢!”

Being the fearful person that I was,
作为一个常感到恐惧的人,

I thought that I had easily  100 fears and more.
我曾以为自己有不止100种恐惧。

I started by accepting the challenge  to do this project as my first fear.
越是我将接受这个挑战作为 我的第一个恐惧,一切就这样开始了。

I went on and held a cat  for the first time ever,
随着项目的进行, 我有史以来第一次抱起一只猫,

I tried all kinds of food.
尝试了各种各样的食物。

I went one day, an entire day,  without my cell phone.
在没有手机的情况下, 外出了一天,整整一天。

And I went on and on  until day 39 arrived
直到项目进行的第39天,

and something remarkable happened:
发生了件让我终生难忘的事:

I was about to face  my fear of donating blood
我将要面对献血的恐惧,

when I realized that I was  congratulating myself
我开始意识到,当我 一次又一次的为面对了

over and over again for having faced  almost 40 different fears,
将近40个不同恐惧而心中窃喜的时候,

when in reality I was facing  the same fears over and over again.
事实上,我只是在 不停面对同样的恐惧。

I wasn't scared of needles,  I was scared of pain.
我不害怕针头,却害怕疼痛。

I wasn't scared of doing karaoke,  I was scared of being embarrassed.
我不害怕去卡拉OK唱歌, 却害怕尴尬。

I wasn't scared of begging for money  in the streets of New York,
我不害怕在纽约的街道乞讨,

I was scared of being rejected.
却害怕被拒绝。

That's when I realized  I did not have 100 fears,
这时我意识到, 我并没有100种恐惧,

I had 7 fears.
只有7种。

Pain, danger, disgust, embarrassment,
对疼痛、危险、憎恶、尴尬、

rejection, loneliness, and control.
拒绝、孤独以及控制的恐惧。

For example, to face my fear of pain,  I did all sorts of things,
例如,为了削弱对疼痛的恐惧, 我做了各种事情,

from getting a piercing, getting a Brazilian wax,
从穿刺到巴西蜜蜡脱毛,

trying spicy food.
到尝试辛辣的食物。

(Laughter)
(笑声)

I tried acupuncture, I jumped off a cliff
我尝试过针灸,从悬崖上一跃而下,

and all those things that reassured me  that indeed I don't like pain.
所有的那些事情使我再次确信, 我确实不喜欢疼痛。

But hey, I really love my piercing  and my husband loved the Brazilian wax.
但是呢,我真心喜爱我的穿刺, 而我老公对巴西蜜蜡脱毛赞不绝口。

(Laughter)
(笑声)

As a way to better understand  the difference between all of my fears
作为一个更好了解我所有恐惧的区别

and find their origin,
并找寻痛苦来源的方法,

I decided to classify them  according to a stack of values,
我决定根据价值观对它们进行分类,

values that define who we are  and why we do the things that we do.
价值观定义了我们是怎样的人, 以及我们做事的动机。

And this is something that I learned  from my SVA professor, Dr. Tom Guarriello.
这正是我从SAV(纽约市视觉艺术学院) 汤姆 · 瓜瑞尔罗教授那里所学到的。

We're all born with a set  of universal values,
我们与生俱来就有一套普世价值观,

and little by little we develop  cultural and personal ones.
并逐渐形成文化的 和个人的价值观。

By categorizing all of my fears this way,
通过这种方式对 我所有的恐惧进行分类,

I realized that all of the challenges  that I was facing
我意识到,我所面对的所有挑战

related to danger, pain, and disgust  fell under the universal stack.
在普世价值观之下都 与危险、疼痛以及憎恶相关。

If we asked anyone to try oysters  for the first time in their lives,
如果我们要求任何一个 没吃过生蚝的试吃一次,

their reaction would probably  be something like this.
他们的反应也许会是这样。

(Laughter)
(笑声)

Same if we asked them to pet this,
如果要求他们疼爱宠物,

to swim around these,
在这周围游泳,

or jump from here.
或者从这儿跳下,反应也是如出一辙。

All of the challenges that were related to embarrassment and rejection
所有与尴尬和拒绝相关的挑战

fell under the cultural stack.
都属于文化价值观范畴。

Society shapes us and gives us guidelines
社会塑造并指引着我们,

so one day we all become  well-behaved rational adults.
因此,某天我们都会成为 行为端正的理性的成年人。

We all know the 'do' symptoms, right?
大家都了解“行为规范”的意思,是吧?

Don't do this,
不能这样做,

don't touch this,
不能碰这儿,

and don't walk around wearing this.
不能穿着它到处走。

And finally, all of my challenges  related to loneliness and control
最终,所有关于孤独和控制的挑战

were deep embedded in my personal stack.
都深深地根植于个人价值观中。

I come from a family  of World War II survivors
我来自二战幸存者的家庭,

where half of my family were killed  by the Nazis in concentration camps.
有一半的家庭成员 在集中营被纳粹屠杀。

My grandparents were lucky
我的祖父母是幸运的,

and they were able to escape  and start a new life from scratch,
他们得以逃离苦海, 并从头开始新的生活,

but their fears never went away.
但是,他们的恐惧却从未逝去。

In fact, they were carried  from generation to generation.
事实上,这些恐惧世代相传。

My mom was raised  with lots of fears, and so was I.
我母亲在诸多恐惧中长大, 我也同样如此。

Additionally, I was born and raised  in a country full of natural beauty,
此外,我在一个充满 自然之美的国度出生长大,

delicious food and amazing people.
那儿有美味的食物和善良的人民。

But as beautiful as Venezuela is,
但是即便委内瑞拉这如此美丽,

it ranks among the most dangerous  countries in the world,
它却是世界上最危险的国家之一,

where kidnappings, robberies, and murders  are part of people's daily conversations.
在那里,绑架、抢劫和谋杀 在百姓的生活中屡见不鲜。

And where having your car taken  but your life not, is seen as a blessing.
在那里,你的车被偷走,但命还在, 你就该谢天谢地了。

People in these countries  face their fears daily.
在这些国度的人民每天都面对恐惧。

But if I learned one thing,
但如果我从中学会了什么的话:

it's we cannot keep blaming our past  or our circumstances for our fears.
那就是:我们不能因为我们的恐惧 而不停地谴责过去或环境。

That's not going to fix our future.
这并不会使我们的未来变得更好。

What we can do about them is face them
我们所能做的就是去直面恐惧,

and try to change  our relationship with them.
试着改变和它们的关系。

By doing all these fears,
通过这样应对恐惧,

I learned that there's a natural  sort of predictable process
我了解到,有一种自然可预测的过程

to facing fear.
来面对恐惧。

It all starts in the 'discovery stage',
它始于“发现阶段”,

here's when we identify  that we are scared of something like:
此时,我们发现自己 害怕某物,比如:

Hum! I guess I am scared of doing  stand-up comedy.
嗯!我想我害怕表演单口相声。

Then we immediately move into  the 'denial stage'.
然后,我们立即进入到“否认阶段”。

Here's when we ignore the fact  that we are indeed scared of this thing.
此时,我们忽视了这一事实: 我们确实害怕这件事。

Most of the people stay in this stage
大多数人驻足于这一阶段,

making their lives easy and comfortable.
过着安逸的生活。

A few percentage of the people  make it to the next stage
少数人会进入到下一个阶段:

which is the 'determination stage'.
“决定阶段”。

Here's when we make  all the arrangements necessary,
这时,我们做出所有必要的安排,

we set a date for it and we're ready,  we're ready to face our fears.
我们为它设定日期并做好准备, 准备迎接恐惧。

So before getting to the 'action stage',
因此,在达到“行动阶段”之前,

there's this hard-to-avoid stage  I like to call the 'WTF am I doing stage'.
有一个难以避免的阶段, 我想称之为“我TMD在干啥”的阶段。

(Laughter)
“笑声”

You can't avoid it.
你无法避免这个阶段。

This is when you really overthink  your decision to face your fear
这时,你对于直面恐惧的 决定真的想太多了,

and you think of every possible outcome  turning it into the worst-case scenario.
并且,你想到了每一个可能的结果, 使事情变得糟糕至极。

If you make it past this stage, congrats,
如果你通过了这个阶段,恭喜你,

because you will learn  in the 'action stage' -
因为你会在“行动阶段”中学习 ——

that's what I'm doing now: 'action' -
这就是我此时在做的:“行动” ——

and here's when it doesn't matter  how much of a non-believer you are,
在这个阶段不管你是多么 没有信仰,这都不重要,

you turn to God
你想起了上帝,

asking Him to be with you in that moment, and you go for it, you face your fear
在那一刻要求他与你同在, 去做吧,去面对你的恐惧,

and that will take you to  the 'celebratory stage'.
这将带你进入“庆祝阶段”。

Here's when you want to share with the world what you just did.
这时,你想与世界 分享你所做的一切。

Hashtag 'I did it'.
贴上标签 “我做到了”。

You experience what feeling  proud of yourself actually feels like.
你体验到自豪的真实感觉。

Then, a new feeling creeps in,
然后,一种新的感觉蔓延开来,

a feeling of embarrassment
尴尬,

because here's when we really regret  our behavior during the 'WTF stage'.
因为这是我们真正后悔 “去TMD阶段”行为的时刻。

And I'm telling you, after facing 100 fears,
我现在告诉你,面对100个恐惧之后,

not even one time
甚至没有一次

the actual challenge was worse  than what I had in my head before.
实际的挑战比以前 在我头脑里的更糟糕。

So, WTF are we so afraid of?
那么,为啥我们TMD如此害怕?

These six steps repeat themselves  over and over again.
这6个阶段一遍又一遍的重复。

It doesn't matter how many challenges you've faced.
不管你面对多少挑战,这都不重要。

To go from the 'WTF stage'  into the 'Action stage',
要从“去TMD阶段”走向“行动阶段”,

I built a set of tools for myself.
我给自己制作了一套工具。

First, I have some cognitive tools.
首先,我有一些认知工具。

These are the things I like to tell myself like, 'It'll be over in ten seconds',
比如我会自言自语, “再坚持10秒就结束了”,

'What's the worst that could happen?'
“最糟糕的情况会如何?”

'Everybody has a destiny', and all of these things.
“每个人都有自己的命运”,诸如此类。

(Laughter)
(笑声)

I have also some behavioral tools.
我还有一些行为工具。

These are things I do differently
也就是以不同的方式处理问题,

like when I couldn't jump off this cliff until I decided to count: 1, 2, 3, jump.
比如当我决定数:1,2,3,跳, 我才能从悬崖上纵身向下跳。

And I did it.
然后,我做到了。

And finally, I have some emotional tools
最后,我还有一些情绪工具,

like when I try to put myself in the best  mood possible before going on stage
比如在上台之前,我尝试 尽量把自己的情绪调整到最佳,

so I can only bring  positive energy into the room
这样一来我才能 只将正能量带进房间,

and really engage with my audience.
并真正与观众进行互动。

These three tools will not necessarily  lead you to overcome fear
这三种工具不一定 可以使你克服恐惧,

but they will allow you to become  intimate with the fear.
但能渐渐减轻你的恐惧。

Actually, we don't want to eliminate fear.
事实上,我们并不想要消除恐惧。

Fear is our ally, it is there to keep us alive.
恐惧是我们的伙伴, 恐惧使我们活得真实。

But when we face our fears,  we allow other emotions to jump in,
但是,当我们面对恐惧时, 我们允许其他情绪进入其中,

emotions that I never even experienced  before doing this project.
这些情绪是我在做 这一项目之前从未体验过的。

The important thing here is to make sure fear is in its place
重要的是确认恐惧的存在,

and not let it spill over  into the other emotions.
并且不让它对其他情绪产生影响。

When we change our approach,  when we change our relationship with fear,
当我们改变方法, 改变和恐惧的关系时,

we will ultimately change  our approach to life itself.
我们最终将改变自己的生活方式。

In my case,
就我而言,

I went from 'No, thanks!'  to 'Let me try'.
我摈弃了“不,谢谢!” 而接受“让我试一下”。

For some people, it takes them  100 challenges to get there, like me.
对于一些人来说,想要达到 这一目标需要100种挑战,就像我一样。

For some, 10 will do.
而对一些人来说,10个足矣。

And for some people,
而对一些人来说,

only one challenge  will change their lives.
仅仅一个挑战就会 改变他们的生活。

I don't believe in absolute fearlessness,
我不相信绝对的勇敢,

but I do believe that we can  negotiate with our fears
但是我确实相信, 我们能和恐惧妥协,

as a way to pursue our dreams  and open ourselves to experiences
以追求梦想和 开放自我的方式去体验

that we never even considered.
我们未曾思考过的一种方式。

By day 40 my project  was discovered by the media
我的项目在进行到 第40天时就受到了媒体的关注,

and this is when I realized  the power that I had
就在这时,我才意识到我拥有

by sharing all these experiences.
与所有人分享经验的力量。

I started to receive messages  from people all over the world
我开始收到了 来自世界各地人们的来信,

thanking me for inspiring them.
感谢我鼓励了他们。

And this is when the goal  of my project shifted.
这时我项目的目标转移了。

It went from becoming  a braver person myself
它从让我自身变得更勇敢,

to keep inspiring people to leave  their comfort zones,
变成一直鼓励人们逃离舒适区,

face their fears and start  living life to the fullest.
直面自身的恐惧, 活出最完整的自己。

Who knew facing fears was contagious?
谁能想到面对恐惧 是有传染性的?

(Video) Hey, Michelle, my name is Marcin, I'm from Poland,
(视频)嘿,米歇尔, 我叫马尔桑,来自波兰,

and I faced the fear of writing to a girl
我面对着写信给女孩的恐惧,

with whom I haven't spoken to  for a very long time.
我已经很长时间 没跟这个女孩说话了。

I faced my fear of birds.
我面对了怕鸟的恐惧。

Rejection.
拒绝。

Sharks.
鲨鱼。

Skydiving.
跳伞。

Zip-lining.
滑索道。

Cliff-diving.
跳水。

To get this pixie haircut.
我剪了这个精灵发型。

Dance like nobody's watching.
旁若无人般的跳舞。

Traveling solo.
独自旅行。

I decided I wanted to do something more meaningful.
我决定要做一些更有意义的事情。

(Music)
(音乐)

I felt accomplished and limitless.
我感到完美无限。

It felt terrific.
感觉棒极了。

[And I feel proud]
【我感到自豪】

Awesome.
太棒了。

Beyond amazing.
美极了。

I feel so good now.
我现在感觉好极了。

So grateful.
太愉快了。

I learned to love myself as I am.
我学会了爱真实的自己。

Now it's time for my big fears.
现在,是我面对大恐惧的时候了。

(Video ends)
(视频结束)

(Applause)
(鼓掌)

So I have an assignment for all of you.
那么,我给大家一个任务。

I want you to think of one thing  you would love to face
我想让你们去思考一件下个星期

in this upcoming week.
想要面对的事情。

Whether it's asking for a raise at work,
无论是要求加薪,

asking someone to marry you,
向别人求婚,

or doing something crazy like jumping out of a plane.
还是做一些疯狂的事情, 比如高空跳伞。

I want you to face that fear,  give it a shot,
我想让你们试一试直面恐惧,

and then share your experience,
然后分享你们的经验,

inspire someone else.
鼓励其他人。

Thank you very much.
非常感谢。

(Applause and cheering)
(鼓掌和欢呼)

本站仅提供存储服务,所有内容均由用户发布,如发现有害或侵权内容,请点击举报
打开APP,阅读全文并永久保存 查看更多类似文章
猜你喜欢
类似文章
【热】打开小程序,算一算2024你的财运
分享10句哲理名言
《WeAreAllFighters》抗肺炎英文励志英文演讲全文中英对照
高中英语读后续写好词好句积累
值得珍藏的至理名言
高考英语读后续写临考必背五主题
值得珍藏的40句话 中英对白
更多类似文章 >>
生活服务
热点新闻
分享 收藏 导长图 关注 下载文章
绑定账号成功
后续可登录账号畅享VIP特权!
如果VIP功能使用有故障,
可点击这里联系客服!

联系客服