打开APP
userphoto
未登录

开通VIP,畅享免费电子书等14项超值服

开通VIP
双语阅读:The Habits of the Solitary(含MP3录音)

聆听美文THE HABITS OF THE SOLITARY

My bones have been aching again,as they often do in humid weather.

和平常一样遇到天气潮湿,我的骨头又疼起来了。

They ache like history:things long done with, that still remain as pain.

疼起来就像历史重演,很久之前就疼过,现在依然很疼。

When the ache is bad enough it keeps me from sleeping.

疼得厉害时,我无法入睡。

Every night I yearn for sleep,I strive for it;

每天晚上我渴望睡觉,努力入睡,

yet it flutters on ahead of me like a curtain.

但疼痛像窗帘一样在我面前晃动。

There are sleeping pills, of course,but the doctor has warned me against them.

当然我有安眠药,但医生警告我不要吃。

Last night, after what seemed hours of damp turmoil,I got up and crept slipperless down the stairs,feeling my way in the faint street light that came through the window.

昨晚,感觉好像是在潮湿天气里辗转反侧了好几个小时后,我起了床,没有穿拖鞋悄悄下楼,一路上借着透过窗户照进来的微弱灯光摸索着。

Once safely arrived at the bottom,I walked into the kitchen and looked around in the refrigerator.

安全到了楼下,我走进厨房打开冰箱看了一遍。

There was nothing much I wanted to eat:the remains of a bunch of celery,a blue-tinged heel of bread,a lemon going soft.

没有什么我想吃的东西:剩下的一捆芹菜,发霉的面包,一个变软的柠檬。

I've fallen into the habits of the solitary;my meals are snatched and random.

我陷入了习惯性的孤独中;我吃饭总是胡乱而随意。

Furtive snacks, furtive treats and picnics.

偷吃零食,偷吃大餐和野餐。

I made do with some peanut butter,scooped directly from the jar with a forefinger:why dirty a spoon?

我直接用食指从罐子里蘸了一些花生酱来吃:为什么要弄脏勺子呢?

Standing there with the jar in one hand and my finger in my mouth,I had the feeling that someone was about to walk into the room—some other woman, the unseen, valid owner—and ask me what in hell I was doing in her kitchen.

站在那儿一手拿着罐子,手指含在嘴里,我感觉有人要进来—是另外某个女人,看不见的,合法的屋主—问我究竟在她的厨房做什么。

I've had it before,the sense that even in the course of my most legitimate and daily actions—peeling a banana, brushing my teeth—I am trespassing.

我以前就有过那种感觉,那感觉就是甚至在做我最合理的日常事情时—剥香蕉,刷牙—都觉得自己正在擅自进入别人的房间。

At night the house was more than ever like a stranger's.

夜里房子就更像是一个陌生人的。

I wandered through the front room,the dining room, the parlour,hand on the wall for balance.

我漫步穿过前屋,餐厅,客厅,手扶着墙以保持平衡。

My various possessions were floating in their own pools of shadow,denying my ownership of them.

我所拥有的各种东西在各自的阴影里飘动,否认我对它们的拥有权。

I looked them over with a burglar's eye,deciding what might be worth the risk of stealing,what on the other hand I would leave behind.

我用入室盗窃的眼光看待它们,决定哪些东西值得去偷,哪些我会留下。

Robbers would take the obvious things—the silver teapot that was my grandmother's,perhaps the hand-painted china. The television set.

盗窃者会拿走明显的东西—祖母留下的银茶壶,也许还有手绘的搪瓷以及电视。

Nothing I really want.

可是这里却没有我真正想要的东西。

词汇解释

1.keep from 阻止;免于;忍住

She looks at him, tries to keep from crying.

她看着他,忍住不哭。

Tuck a pantry, shelving or cabinets flush with the wall to keep from obstructing the kitchen's flow.

折短餐具室,搁置或橱柜与墙齐平以防止妨碍厨房的运作。

2.strive for 奋斗,争取;谋求

Yeah, I know that not all blogs strive for monetization.

好的,我知道并不是所有的博客都会争取盈利。

If you cannot stomach the risk, do not strive for high office.

如果你不能承受风险,就不要谋求高位。

3.come through 到达;穿过;传来

In case kara does come through?

万一卡拉真的来了呢?

Can you come through here?

你能过来这里吗?

4.look around 四下观望;进行调查

Two girls look around the set of dumbledore's office.

两个女孩正在参观邓布利多的办公室。

And look around you.

然后,你看看这种地方。

本站仅提供存储服务,所有内容均由用户发布,如发现有害或侵权内容,请点击举报
打开APP,阅读全文并永久保存 查看更多类似文章
猜你喜欢
类似文章
【热】打开小程序,算一算2024你的财运
The 7 Habits Tree-杰出青少年的7个习惯
第一次做子弹日记9月份
双语诗歌 The Solitary 孤独
sleeping
西班牙马德里市中心一间28平米的小公寓改建项目
译言网 | 6条可以让习惯成自然的方法
更多类似文章 >>
生活服务
热点新闻
分享 收藏 导长图 关注 下载文章
绑定账号成功
后续可登录账号畅享VIP特权!
如果VIP功能使用有故障,
可点击这里联系客服!

联系客服